Welcome to Year 1
The Year 1 Team
Mrs Cecil - Class Teacher
Miss Arezoo - Class Teacher
Mrs Coward- Teaching Assistant
Mrs Tate-Teaching Assistant
Mrs Gill-Teaching Assistant
Once Upon a Time.....
New Topic - Traditional Stories
We have now shifted our focus away from pirates and onto traditional stories. In class your children will be reading, acting out and writing about a range of traditional stories in their English lessons over the next few weeks. We will be looking at the following stories;
- The Gingerbread Man
- Hansel and Gretel
- The Three Billy Goats Gruff
- The Three Little Pigs
- Little Red Riding Hood
We have revamped our book corners to promote the reading and enjoyment of traditional tales. You can help at home too by sharing and talking about any traditional fairy stories on have on your book shelves!
Here are some good questions to ask your child when they are reading or listening to a traditional tale;
- What traditional story language can you find? e.g. Once upon a time, happily ever after etc
- What repetitive language can you find? e.g. "Then I'll huff and I'll puff and I'll blow your house down!"
- What do you think will happen next? (before you turn the page - no peeping!)
- Who is the good character? Why?
- Who is the bad character? Why?
- Where is this story set?
- Did you like this story?
- Can you think of a better ending?
Maths Homework will be brought home on Monday to be completed and returned by Friday.
We understand that it can be tricky getting your children to do homework and at this age homework is not compulsory so please do not feel pressured to complete the task if your child finds it too difficult. We try to make the homework relevant to what we are learning in school that week and it usually supports their class learning. We aim to make the tasks practical and fun. Please feel free to discuss homework with either Miss Chappell or Mrs Cecil on a Wednesday open-morning.